Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Okay- Pity Party Over...Next Subject Please!!!


Well, a few schools in our area are offering single-gender classes in Elementary school next year with the exception of Kindergarten.
Honestly I think it's a GREAT idea that should extend all the way thru high school.
I know I would have benefited IMMENSELY from same gender classes when I was in school had they offered it then.
I know you couldn't tell it now- but in school I was PAINFULLY shy. I wouldn't answer questions in class, I wouldn't ask questions if I didn't understand anything, and GOD FORBID I be called on to READ out LOUD!!

The only way I did as well as I did in school was because of my love of reading. I could usually find any answer I needed, given the time by just referencing in the library. Well, except for math.....Math was the ONE subject I was absolutely abysmal at.

I only started to get out of it when I joined Band and had to go out on the field for halftime. I was chosen as a Majorette and it was probably the best thing that happened to me in school. I began to come out of my shell a bit then.
I also think it would be a good idea to have same sex teachers FOR these single gender classes.
Less chance of a crush on a teacher that way. And yeah- in Junior High I had that problem too- in MATH Class of all places. His name was Mr. Beck and I think every girl in the school(and half the teachers as well) had a crush on him. Needless to say I- as well as most of the rest of the females students in his class- failed that class that year.

The powers that be think maybe this S/G classroom idea isn't necessarily a good idea. For one thing they think it will foster inequality of the genders, and for another they think it will bring on segregation lawsuits.
I think that's a cop-out way to think.
I think it would actually HELP the female equality because IMHO BOTH genders would be getting a MUCH better education without all the male/female interaction that hinders education and takes up so much of the students time during the school day.

Let me mention that BOTH sexes will be taught the same curriculum- only with different methods.
It seems males see desks facing each other as confrontational and causes more distractions and fights. Females are the exact opposite. There are other reasons as well but since I don't have the paper in front of me(and am too lazy to Google it and besides that I have to leave for work in 30 minutes) I'll have to forgo the rest of the explanations. If you wanna look it up it's the front page Item in THE GREENVILLE NEWS from Greenville SC.

Anyway, Like I said- I'm all FOR it. And for school uniforms as well, in case you were wondering.
Might cost a bit of extra money- but I think it would take away just one more HUGE distraction that all school kids are so prone to.

So there it is....My Opinion....for what it's worth.

3 comments:

Paulius said...

I disagree.

School isn't just about learning in class, it's also about learning social skills and 'rules'.

For me this falls under the same heading as teachers not being allowed to mark work in red pen because it's too 'aggressive', discouraging competition and not rewarding good work or punishing bad through fear of damaging the kids 'self esteem'.

Mixing with people and getting over shyness etc is something we all have to do at some point. By introducing single-sex classes all you're doing is delaying the acquisition of necessary social skills.

Isn't it better to feel awkward and shy when you're 6 rather than 16?

You said you eventually 'came out of your shell'...wouldn't single sex classes have made you comfortable...only to put you BACK in your shell when you found yourself having to mix with the opposite sex?

Sunny said...

Maybe so- but I don't think I would have had NEARLY as many problems as I did in trying to figure out the male/female relationship thing. I would have had time to mature a bit before being bombarded with the boy-girl issues of socializing.
I stand by my first impression and statement- In my opinion I would have done MUCH better to have had Same-Gender classes in school.

I DO agree 100% with you about the red pen, competition and reward and/or punishment issues tho. That's just being ridiculous!

Anonymous said...

I'm kinda torn on this issue b/c I Do think that its important for kids to learn to socialize with both sexes early on. I think it helps later on in life if they've already developed those skills.

On the other hand I can't count how many lessons I probably missed b/c I was daydreaming about the adorable boy sitting next to me.:)
Or thinking of what I would wear tomorrow.So single sex classes would have cut that out somewhat.

BTW, Im totally in favor of uniforms. Devons school wears them and it is sooooo nice not to have to worry about what he'll wear and if its name brand. With everyone dressed the same no one cares about it. (other than shoes, Devon now wants some Nike Shocks,which cost a pretty little penny:)