Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Foxworthy Fodder....and Other Stuff.


......okay first of all I have a short story to tell y'all about a relative. Then I'll have a bit of a carry on from yesterdays post to answer a couple of comments left on that post.......so away we go.


I've been informed that a relative of mine(I won't name him) spent the weekend as a guest of the city.

Due to a DUI.

On a Horse.

I am NOT joking.

And when the officer asked if this relative had been drinking, he answered yes. And when said officer asked him if he had any alcohol on his person, said relative opened up his jacket, pulled out an unopened can of beer and said, "Yeah- You want one?" and then offered it to the officer.


We'll chalk that up to the unbridled enthusiasm of youth.

***********************************

Now......as for the comments left on yesterdays post............................

Evan.........Not THAT kind of fish......the kind we have are tiny and WAYYY too hard to de-bone.

Seacat........No. Buddy is way too unpredictable for mom(or anyone else except Frank and he lives too far away for that to be practical) to come take care of him . Basically there is 3 people that can come near him without him trying to eat them...literally.....Me(sometimes), Paul, and Frank.- and he doesn't like strangers so we couldn't take him with us- part of the idea is to be able to relax and get away from all the stress and responsibilities for a few days...not take it with us.

Lois............The reason WHY we have Buddy is because Paul left his dog behind when he moved over here, so when Buddy showed up on our doorstep on the coldest night of the year- temps were in the teens- and it was 1AM....I couldn't bear to put the poor baby back out in the cold..- he wasn't even hardly old enough to eat puppy chow yet. We couldn't locate anyone to claim him, so we kept him rather than him being brought to the shelter and euthanized if he wasn't adopted out.

Dogs and cats are a joy to have around. For companionship they're great.....but all my cats have been sweet loving things, who make me fall in love with them....and then promptly leave after 6 months and break my heart.
I've never had a BIG inside dog as a pet- my dogs have always been outside dogs and it's something I just haven't adjusted to. Granted, Buddy needs some training. Especially when it comes to socializing with family- but in order for that to happen, Family needs to be around more often than they can at the moment- and I need to work with him- which I just don't have time for at the moment with everything else going on. Paul works with him, but as I said- the family is so busy they don't get to come over on a regular basis so Buddy can get the social training he needs and with our schedules, we rarely have just regular visiting company. We try and all get together for Holidays and as often as possible- but we're all busy people.

I LOVE Buddy- I love that USUALLY he's a big, dumb, lovable oaf. But he's easily excitable and as I said, needs some training around other people before I can be truly at ease with him. Like I said in an earlier post....when I was very young, 3 or 4, I saw my collie torn to pieces trying to protect me from a pack of strays and I know what damage a dog can inflict. I've also been bitten by my sisters dogs twice in adulthood, So I'm cautious around dogs.

The point I was trying to make yesterday is- that a simple couple of days vacation we are trying to put together has suddenly blossomed into a huge, stress-filled, venture because we have so many unexpected expensive pet-related things to deal with.

In other words- I should have started gathering information about pet-related expenses way sooner than I did.
But, that being said, next time it won't be nearly as stressful because 1) I'll Know what to expect in the way of expenses for Buddy- and 2) all the expensive stuff is taken care of now.

******************************************************
On the flip side...............if we could Litter Box or Potty Train Buddy we'd have it made.
:-)

3 comments:

Astarte said...

OMG, a DUI on a HORSE?! Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!! That is SO funny!!!!!

I'm glad you sound so much better today. It *is* hard having an exuberant dog in the house. One thing I've found is helpful is to keep treats in my pockets, and let them know it, so that they know that when I call, if they come they're getting treats. It helps a lot with barking at the door, being too excited with guests, etc. It sounds like you've been through so, so much, and I think it's amazing that you're able to have a dog at all!

Look into Petsmart / Petco, and also your local animal shelter, when it comes time to re-up your shots, because sometimes they have clinics where the costs are seriously reduced. Rabies shots in particular are given out by a lot of communities for about $5 a pop in an effort to control the disease.

Seacat said...

Would that be a DUI, or and RUI??
Are you sure we're not related?? Sounds like the stuff that happens with my family!
Too funny..
Sea

marie said...

Let me just guess who THAT was! Thats freaking hilarious!