Friday, June 05, 2009

Southernese.

Okay, today I had to explain to a Yank........I mean a Northerner, what the phrase Y'all All means.

Let me explain it to y'all.

Okay "Y'all" can be a plural or a singular noun and yes, you DO need the EXTRA "All" in there.

Example:

You have a group of people. You have two jobs. You direct them by dividing them into two groups.

Then, you tell them, motioning to the first group......"Okay, now Y'all start cutting the hay." Then you motion the the second group and say, "And Y'all start baling the hay." Then you motion to the entire group and say, "And Y'all All are stayin' for supper tonight!"
The first two are used as singular nouns referring to a group as a single entity. The last one is used as a plural noun referring to them all as a group.

Any questions?

7 comments:

Tom Scharbach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom Scharbach said...

Sorry -- a huge typo in the original.

Here we go again:

LOL. The mystery, of course, is why any sane Yank would want to know what "Y'all" means in the first place.

My partner, Micheal, is from East Texas, and he is pretty clueless when it comes to my native language, Wisconsin Dutch. Simple statements like "I'm going by the corner around ..." confuse him, and he probably thinks that a "bubbler" is something his mama wouldn't approve of, if she knew.

Some things are best left misunderstood.

Astarte said...

Makes perfect sense to me, you cracker.:)

That's like nobody in the south seems to know what a crunchy person is, or a granola. :)

Sunny said...

LOL_ Well, I'm an Ej-U-cated Southerner!! I KNOW what a crunchy person is- and a granola!!!!

Paulius said...

WTF is a 'crunchy person'?

Terry Chandler said...

Nah... The plural of y'all is All Y'all. LOL, I'm glad you've changed back to the pink backdrop!

Michael Dodd said...

I deny that I cannot follow Tom's Wisconsin Dutch! It is his tendency to give directions by way of landmarks that have long ago disappeared that is confusing. You know, like "Turn left at the Mobil station", which now is a Shell station. Although there is something charmingly southern about it. Like "Turn left where Rubella Jenkins lived before the house burned down and they paved it over to make a parking lot for the Do-Nut DeLite." But of course, the Do-Nut DeLite is long gone, too.

And as Dave Barry says, I am not making this up.