Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Valentines Day... and Other Couple Gifts...

Paul and I usually don't "do" Valentines Day. I think it's just  a stupid commercialized holiday hell- bent on profit through guilt.
ie: The more you love someone- the more you will spend on them. And the one-upmanship grows and grows and grows. Prices are  inflated, and the pressure is applied.

No thank you. I prefer to take myself out of that particular equation.

For me, if I have to depend on Valentines Day Gifts to guage someones love- they can keep it. Give me nothing on Valentines Day. Unless it's your time. Gift me with cuddling on the couch. Or a walk in the woods(not to murder me tho). Or cook me dinner and play a board game with me.  Chess is good. I'd much rather have someone remember my birthday or our wedding anniversary than Valentine Day.

Hubby and I walked to Tesco for lunch together on Valentines Day with a group of his friends. As we walked out the door, he turned to me and said " Your Flowers aren't going to be a surprise now." (The past two years for some odd reason he did get me flowers and chocolates and a card- I think due to peer pressure.... or maybe just to shake things up a bit- who knows....) Anyway, I told him I really didn't want flowers... nor a card....and especially not chocolates with me trying to lose weight. It was a lovely thought- and I told him so- but we are buying a new car hopefully in the next couple of weeks- and there is a lovely set of glass front display shelves I want for our living room to house hubby's fabulous collection of Star trek Star-ships which are on open shelving now and are the biggest dust magnets ever and are so delicate they break if you barely look at them the wrong way (not me-that was hubby), so I would rather save our money for those expenses next month.

One year early in our marriage we were Christmas shopping and when he asked what I wanted I pointed out a set of cookware I was simply dying to have.  Up to that time I had never owned a brand new set of cookware, it was all bits and pieces given me by relatives and friends. He looked at me as if I had grown two heads and said "I'm not buying you cookware for a Christmas present." The look on my face must have told him how much I wanted the set tho- because he ended up telling me not to cry, if that's what I REALLY wanted, then cookery things I would get.

Over the years we have quite often bought some new gadget for the house instead of more personal gifts for each other. There have been more personal gifts too- but the way we look at it is, we are making an investment and commitment in US and our relationship every time we choose something for our home that we can use to make our lives easier or more relaxing and enjoyable together.

As it should be.


No comments: