Friday, April 27, 2018

I Think Not.

This afternoon we sit here in my humble abode- it's chilly and just a bit uncomfortable.
As he was reaching for the fleece throw, I asked the hubby why he didn't turn the heat on. He said because it's "expensive" and the only reason he was cold was because he had just "walked home in the cold rain from the dentist appointment." I thought about that answer- and asked him then why was I cold because I certainly did not walk home from work in the cold rain. He said that I was always cold and as an "American" I had no tolerance for mild discomfort.

I beg to differ.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact I may or may not be an "American".
It has to do with the fact that I have lived my entire life in some sort of discomfort. Getting up before the break of dawn to build a fire in the heater or fireplace to wash and dry my hair before going out in the cold to stand and wait on the school bus to spirit me away to a school that was almost equally as cold first thing in the morning..... And so my little brothers and sisters could get up into a decently warm house(or at least a warm kitchen and family room)  instead of shaking and shivering the 30 minutes while waiting for the fire to be built and the room to get warm.
It comes from not having A/C most of my life- of sweating and being miserable in the heat and humidity of the Southern Summers. Of having to rely on a fan in the window to pull in a bit of whatever air was outside to at least get a breeze until we got ceiling fans for each room and of lying in the bed at night with our faces in the window because it was so hot at night in the summertime you couldn't breathe if you didn't.
It comes from the early adult lean years when every spare penny of my cash went to feeding and clothing my babies when we had next to nothing because of- circumstances. Of going door to door asking the neighbors if they needed any yard-work done and then working til dusk on my own while the babies played in the yard while I did it, because I needed to buy formula or diapers or clothes for my little ones because of-circumstances. Of buying pre-loved toys and making then like new for them for Christmas because I'd rather stay home with them and enjoy those precious moments making memories growing up than go to work and miss out of those moments and be able to buy a load of crap they wont remember when they grow up. Ask my kids what they remember about Christmas at our house- I've rarely heard them mention what they got except for just a couple of really special gifts- but they can tell you all about how things looked and smelled and sounded and how those things now remind them of their Christmases at home.

So no- it's most certainly not because I have no tolerance for  discomfort- it comes from deprivation and hardships and struggle- and now that I am older and able to pay for those simple creature comforts- I fully intend to have them and never deprive myself of them again.
I've earned it- and refuse to have it any other way.

End Of.

No comments: