Tuesday, August 11, 2026

A New Beginning

 Yesterday was the first day at my new job. 

Let's just say this is going to be quite an adjustment.  At my previous job, I was 90 mph all morning, a short time where there was nothing to do unless I got a call (which I usually did) and then 90mph for the last two hours of the shift. 

It went from 90 to basically nothing. Second shift is more chill than first shift. My job duties at the moment are to sit or stand and watch for a blinking green light and then take two steps and open a door for a contractor. (New facility and they are still figuring out the standards.) I also make a foot patrol every two hours around the perimeter of the interior- exterior patrols have been cancelled until the yard is cleared up per the powers that be.

Of course, you know I was speaking to as many people as I could to get a feel for the place. About half at least said Hi but that will increase in the coming days, I'm sure.

In the work area, there is only fans, no A/C... but fans are aplenty there. every workstation, the security area and about 50 giant overhead ceiling fans above us. 

The other area is posh- of course you know it's the Office area- AC to the point of being chilly, and by the time I get there at 2pm everyone is getting packed up to head home....

The parking situation is atrocious for now. They are working on a gravel overflow parking area, but it remains to be seen if this will truly "fix" the issue. And best of all, Security doesn't have to deal with a single logistics issue for now. It may change in the future- but due to the business it is, I highly doubt we ever will EVER be asked to do more than log the drivers name, company, and truck numbers before sending them on their way in. There is only one way in and one way out and the company logistics team only touches or even sees the paperwork. LOVE that.

Bottom line, I absolutely love the new place- it's going to evolve as it always does- but Best news is- it's a stone's throw from the house compared to the other job and it's a lot less work for a tiny pay cut that will be more than made up for in Fuel used and wear and tear on my car. less headache meds, less muscle balm for the excessive driving cramps.... I don't think I lost one good thing except for the lovely people I was working with. And since Sister still works there, I feel confident I can still see some of those people from time to time if I take Sister lunch- or Dinner. Or just drop by for a chat.... 

All in all, I feel confident I made exactly the right move for my life at this time.

Happy Days!!!!



No comments: