Monday, July 22, 2013

Sigh......Just Call me Grace.

This is what happens when you take "The Road Less Traveled.

I went for a photowalk yesterday afternoon, as has become my almost habit on a Sunday before Tea-time. I went into the park and got some lovely shots of what seemed to be "Dad's Day in the Park", along with a few of other things happeing there too.
You can see them here.....

Lavada's P52

Well, I thought, I have a bit of time before a) my camera battery runs down and b) I have to head back home to start tea, so I just moseyed down towards the other park that Jeanne had told me about last weekend. There was a sign saying it was like 4 miles or so to the town, and I knew my cam battery wouldn't last THAT long, so I decided to stroll down and see the lay of the land until my cam battery emptied and then I would head back home.

The stroll down was awesome-I called it the Road Less Traveled.....

and got some really nice shots, (only a few of them are on the P52 Blog til later this evening.), saw some interesting peeps and scenery and then about a mile or so down that RLT(Road Less Traveled), my Olymus informed me it was finished for the day, so I packed it away in my bag and turned back towards home.

Now along that RLT, there was a couple of rough patches. Spots that stretched across the enire width of the road/pathway. In these rough patches were stones and bits of sharp rocks and cement imbedded in the road/pathway.
And on top of those stones are lots and lots of what looks like Cotton fluff. It's so bad it looks like it's snowed.
Well, I had negotiated these patches once when I was walking up...and was specifically why I put the Olympus away before walking back. It was a tricky stretch.

The first one I got thru fine, the second one is the one that got me.

I was picking my way thru- very carefully, I might add,- and I felt my shoe catch and turn, and before I knew what was happening I heard a pop and a ripping sound(no it wasn't my clothes) and the next thing I knew I was on the ground. My knee was hurting, my foot was burning and throbbing and my palms were stinging as well. I sat up, dusted my hands off and took inventory, thinking OMG- I don't wanna have to call an ambulance and have a team walk me out of here on a stretcher.

I sat there a few minutes. Checked out my skinned knee(God I had almost forgotten how painful those things can be too since the last one I got was a good 25 years ago- but altho bruised and skinned, it would heal and was a minor boo-boo), my palms(stinging but not scraped), the elbows(not a scratch on them)  the shoulders(Left one a bit sore but expected), and the back(pulled a muscle and is sore but again- to be expected and nothing major).

Then I tried to stand up. Not happening. I crawled over to the side of the path, took my shoe off and just sat there, feeling, to see if I had bones protruding anywhere because of the way the right one was burning. No protruding bones or blood....maybe it's just a bad sprain. It was already swelling and bruising up, so I got my phone out and texted hubby to let him know I had taken a tumble and I was trying to get home. I waited for a response, but after 10 minutes and not getting one, I figured he was still recording and had the headphones on and hadn't read it yet. So I put my shoes back on, pulled myself up and hobbled back towards civilization.

I passed a set of steps, but by-passed them thinking I wasn't sure I could negotiate them. At that point I was hobbling a couple steps and resting a couple minutes. I had made it about 50 yards past the steps when a fellow walker stopped and asked me if I was injured. Apparently, she had been watching my slow progress as she came down the pathway from the opposite direction. I started to say no- I was fine and just kind of blow it off, but I realized I was in a bit of a jam and was fading fast. So I told her yes, I had taken a tumble. She asked where I lived and when I told her she said that the steps I had looked at and by-passed was a shortcut to my house if I could make it up the stairs. She also offered to call an ambulance, but I seriously thought it was just a bad sprain. I have had them many times before and they hurt just as badly as a break does.

She walked with me, helping me negotiate the steps- up one side and down the other. Then she insisted on walking me all the way to our building where she left me to it since I was positive Paul would have looked at his text by now and should be looking for me or waiting to come get me if I texted him again saying I couldn't make it.

Little did I know that his phone was in the car with a dead battery and he was still inside waiting on me to get back from my walk. So, I ended up dragging myself up the stairs to our 2nd floor flat on my own.

As soon as I got in I stepped into the shower to get myself cleaned up a bit and cool off. After the shower I hopped into the livingroom, where we accessed my injuries together. A huge bruise was forming on the side of my right foot and it continued to swell as you can see from the very top photo above. But again, During our marriage alone I've had at least 10 sprained ankles/feet and they were fine after I iced them and had a good nights rest  keeping the weight off it. So that's exactly what I did yesterday......iced it down til bedtime with a bag of frozen peas and then went to bed. I kept it elevated all evening and night and had taken ibuprophen directly after my shower when I got in.

This morning at 5AM, I got up to go to the bathroom thinking it should be good to put some weight on now, and about fell over when I did so. No weight again. I made it to the bathroom after about 15 minutes and when I got back to the bedroom, Paul told me to get dressed, he was taking me to the A&E/ER.

So we did.
They gave me pain tablets(3 of em) manipulated it(OMG that was awfully painful WITH the pain meds, let alone without), sent me for x-rays, and then told me I definitely had broken it. The same injury Rooney and Beckham got during the World Cup is what the nurse said.

Anyway, Out of work today- back tomorrow. On crutches for 4-6 weeks.

I shouldn't be allowed out on my own.


Seacat said...

That picture makes my foot hurt Sunny! What an ordeal, sounds like my kinda luck. Stay off it and give it time to heal completely-I know you, don't push yourself to be on it!!

Sunny said...

Nah, I won't over do it SeaCat.....I know from experience that if I do push it I'll pay for it later. I'm going to go back to work tomorrow tho- trying to save as much as we can for a(hopefully) visit home Thanksgiving. It's a desk job so it won't be a strain. Long bit when I go to the Ladies, but that won't be too bad either.

yogaseven said...

Bali Resorts
nice post :)