Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Chaos

OMG- What a DAY!

We had all 6 of the grandsons here. All their parents, and Kathy brought her mom,Miss Jennifer, along too. We had a GREAT time!!!
Nicholas kept us totally on our toes by disappearing every time we looked away. He went to the kitchen every time and would drag a chair to the counter top to "sample" the food. After we all ate and put the leftovers away he decided climbing on the table and eating all the other kids leftovers was his plan of attack. And after all that was gone he decided that since he did all that eating he might as well wash up the dishes, so he dragged the chair over to the sink, climbed IN the sink, and was trying to turn on the taps when Paul found him. Luckily Paul had the video cam with him and got some GREAT footage of Nicholas' antics.

I had made a simple Brunch this Christmas day......A Hash-Brown Potato Casserole, Biscuits(the bread kind- not the cookie kind), and a sliced baked ham.
Paul had planned to cook a proper Christmas Dinner for me and him, but by the time all the doing was done it was WAY too late for him to cook before I had to toddle off to work so he decided to just wait til today to do our "proper" Christmas Dinner- so it's actually a "Boxing Day" dinner instead.
He's finishing it up as I sit here writing this, and I have to say it smells HEAVENLY!

Seems that he has missed his Proper English Christmas Dinner in the four years he has been here.
See- LOTS of people have a proper Christmas dinner in America- but since I do a "proper" Thanksgiving Dinner less than a month before and the kids tend to get here pretty early in the morning and have other family to visit as well on Christmas Day, I started the tradition of Christmas Morning Brunch.
I usually do bacon or ham, biscuits, scrambled eggs, saw-mill gravy, cinnamon rolls and orange danish. Drinks include coffee, hot cocoa, soda pop, milk, juice and, of course, eggnog.
This year I had to work the night before AND the night OF, so I made it even more simple.
No one complained- and as usual- we had lots of leftovers.
Anyway, so usually we just have ham sammiches for dinner on Christmas Day- but Paul wanted to do a proper dinner and he volunteered to make it.
Oh, the heavenly smells coming from our kitchen right now is driving me nuts!
Of course, I have been sitting here snacking on all that damn chocolate that was left here by the parents who "FORGOT" about taking the kids candy packets home with them. (...Riiiiiiiigggght!!! Of COURSE they did.), but I have to say it hasn't put a DENT on my hunger with those smells from the kitchen tempting me.
Only bad thing is Paul won't let me in to....."test" the dinner fare til it's finished.
;-P

LMAO- Oh well, I'll just put the candy away in a tin somewhere...no wait- I have a LOVELY Santa Cookie Jar on my dining table that Paul's parents bought be when they visited last year! All that candy will JUST fit in it!!
Out of sight- out of mind.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ive been daydreaming of ham,biscuits,and hashbrown cheesy stuff all morning at home! Too bad I didnt think to bring any home(and I want that recipe!). It was wonderful Vada and I truly enjoyed spending christmas morning with everyone this year. Thank you for making everything a bit early so that I could participate before work, you dont know how much I appreciate that. Love You!!!

Anonymous said...

That dinner Paul is making sounds awfully good! Does his cooking mean you'll be cleaning up? Try not to climb into the sink. ;)

Hugs,
L