Sunday, December 09, 2007

Christmas Shoppingand Stuff......

Talk about one of life's little adventures!

Most of my Christmas shopping is done by myself. I run out to get fuel for my car and as I pass the shopping center I think..."Well, I have a few spare moments, I'll just pop in and see what they have on sale."
Mind you I have my shopping list already made with a time-line and names and gift ideas already tucked into my wallet since about June 1st.

This year I ROYALLY screwed up tho.
I waited til after August 1st to start my shopping. I had the grand total of two gifts bought when Clay had his accident and passed away. And as you can imagine it did a number on my head.
I actually had about twice as much I could have spent on Christmas this year- but around the middle of September I got about half of it from Paulius and fully intended to go do the bulk of my shopping then. But after putting a bit on layaway, I somehow managed to let the rest of that half slip thru my fingers. Altho I admit a good portion of it went into my gas tank to go see my other kids and on going to the cemetery. I spent a lot of time up there trying to come to terms with Clays passing. Anyway, I have worked a good bit of OT to make up for it...not by choice really tho- it just happened that we had a rash of officers quitting without giving notice and that created a opportunity for some of us to work some OT while they hire officers to train and get to our site.
I've worked OT for 7 weeks now and THIS weekend I took off and refused the OT(much to my bosses chagrin, I might add...he had to work a 12 hour shift on Saturday!)
Anyway......
I have taken the extra money from my paycheck each week and gotten the stuff out of Layaway and bought the rest of Christmas .
Paulius took me shopping for my Christmas and we had a BLAST!
It was last weekend, I think, and the stores were VERY crowded. It had been ages since I had done any actual Christmas shopping DURING the holiday rush!
Anyway, there were people jostling about and running into each other and Paulius and I kept getting separated. It was hard to hear each other above the din from the crowd and we kept having to circle round and round over and over to find each other. In the end we just agreed that if we got separated again we would just meet in the electronics department.

First we went to the electronics department and got a new web-cam. They had several nice ones and I particularly liked the one that moved with you but we opted for a different one that clipped to the monitor so the view wouldn't always be a profile of our face when we used it.
I'm happy with that.

Then we headed over to the kitchen section and Paulius got me a new Hamilton Beach Brew-Station coffee-maker.
We had one before but remember when we had that lightening storm a year or so ago and it took out our computer? Well, it fried our Brew-station as well and lemme tell you- we was two ILL-Arsed people for a few weeks. Paulius because he had no computer and me because I had no coffee!
Then I realized I still had my coffee-maker from before and went into the storage building to dig it out. And that's what we have been using since. I hated the thing cause if you don't hold it at JUST the right angle it dribbles all over the counter. Needless to say, my counter near the coffeemaker was the most wiped surface in the place with all the coffee I drink- and spilt.
Anyway, I digress......(I do that A LOT!)
Then he told me to pick out whatever I liked and he would let me know when I had reached my limit.
Si I told him I wanted a set of cookware.
His response?
"I am NOT going to get you cookware for your Christmas prezzie!"
He saw my face fall and his mouth dropped open.
"Are you telling me you were actually SERIOUS?" he asked.
And I told him yes, I was 100% serious.

Believe it or not- as much as I cook and bake and with a degree in Culinary Arts, I have NEVER owned a brand spanking new matching set of cookware in my life.
So my darling husband went over and picked me out a GORGEOUS 12 piece set of Faber-ware. Some of the best in the market and not overpriced because of a name like Martha Stewart or Emeril or Rachel Ray attached to it.
And I LOVE it!
He also bought me a Mini Bundt Cake baking pan which I have been dying for as well.
Then he told me to keep going.
So we got the Pirates of the Caribbean movie and game. He said the game was pooh- but he loved the movie. I fell asleep about 40 minutes into the movie, and watched it again all the way thru last night, but wasn't quite as impressed with it. It just didn't have the ending it could have, in my opinion.

He told me to continue and so I got a new white turtleneck sweater. Last time I got a white one was about 9 years ago and it's so frayed on the wrists I don't wear it without a jacket over it but it's so comfy I refused to throw it away like I should have done about three years ago.
So now I can bin it.

Paulius was going to buy me a new bathrobe to replace the one Buddy chewed up, but I told him not to bother- I have another that's longer and is red as well and actually is MUCH more comfy than the VS one, I'll just use it until it falls apart.
Or until Buddy chews it up...whichever comes first.
LOL.

Anyway, I was walking around trying to decide what else I wanted and Paulius made the comment that he wished he and I thought the same things were cool. I asked him what he meant and he said he would love to have a DVR. And my eyes lit UP! I had wanted one but thought they were too expensive to ask for one. So we took off to the electronics department again to see what they had. They had a nice one on sale but they were out. So we are going to get one of those as well when they have them in stock again which hopefully will be this week sometime!!

Our shopping spree was great fun this year!
Hey, I guess that as long as you're not under the pressure of HAVING to get the BULK of your shopping done in that mess, it IS kinda enjoyable.
They were some nuts out there tho. I was mostly people watching on that trip and it was a bit scary to see some of the people who come out in the daylight.
Thank you, but I think I LIKE doing my shopping at 4AM in a 24 hour Walmart.

Then there was the little trip we took day before yesterday to K-Mart with the four customers in the store and three or four employees to every customer and couldn't get any service at all.
Bye-Bye K-Mart. Nevermore.
Altho I have to say- I have NEVER been a big K-Mart fan.
At one time they were the biggest name on the block- the old Walmart equivalent-Buy it cheapest here you have nowhere else to go......, but now there's a BUNCH of new boys in town, K-mart my friend, so you have to lose the attitude!!

Maybe next year I might actually start back decorating businesses for the holidays again.
MAYBE.

Anyway, gonna go now and try to take some pics of the house decorations we have got this year.

Have a Good one, Yall!!!

No comments: