Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Hi Ho- Hi Ho.............

Well, My cleaning schedule didn't quite work out as neatly as I had planned.

See I make plans- and God laughs.

I went into the kitchen and started to wash dishes- but noticed that the faucet was running a steady stream of water....small, but steady. Now bear in mind that my brother, Charlie had come down just a couple months ago and helped me replace the washers in ALL the faucets in the house.

(And by helped me I mean I watched him do the first one, then tried to do it myself, and ended up begging him to do the next one because I was so frustrated at not being able to get the thing off because of the mineral build-up.... and also because after 30 minutes of wrestling with it Charlie was laughing at me and my ineptness for doing anything slightly resembling plumbing and electrical work.I DID get to do one of the bathroom ones, tho, and did a fine job of it.)

Well, anyway. Charlie had warned me that I might have to make some adjustments to the hot-water one after a couple weeks and to call him if I needed him to help me.
I thought- I did ONE of them last time- I KNOW how it's done- I'll do it myself.
So I got out the tools and proceeded to take the faucet handle off.

And YES- I DID remember to shut of the water valve before unscrewing anything.
I'm BLOND- not Stupid.(And never MIND that I forgot to turn the water off first the FIRST time I did it when Charlie was here helping....I LEARNED from my mistake.)

Anyway......I took it off and took it apart- and the only part of the rubber washer that was there was the part DIRECTLY under the screw!! What the HECK????? Well, then I remembered we had used all the washers that fit my fixtures LAST time so, Paulius and I went off to the local home improvement store to get washers. And while we were out Paulius got the part we needed to replace the aged guts to our toilet tank.
We came home and I replaced the washer without incident. But when it came time to put it back together, I just couldn't get the thing to tighten up the way it should. So off it came again and I tried it over again....... And again....... And again.
I just couldn't figure out what the dang problem was. So, finally giving up, I called my Darling Baby Brother and asked him what he was doing- and if when he finished up his project- could he "Please come down and help me figure out what the HECK I'm doing wro.........oh wait......Never mind, Bubba...I figured it out-But THANK YOU anyway!!!."....
During our conversation I had been tinkering with the contraption and lo and behold- I had ONE part on backwards and when I turned it the right way it screwed in to the fixture and everything fell into place. So I DID end up fixing the sink by MYSELF!!!!!! Charlie did tell me that here is some part in my hot-water tank that may need replacing if the washers are being eaten that quickly...and we may be able to replace just that part- OR we may end up replacing the entire water heater....depends on the model heater we have....MORE good news.
NOT.

You have no idea how proud and happy it made me to be able to finish that faucet job by myself
Sure, I can DO flooring projects. And I can DO painting projects. And I can DO re-arranging projects. And I can cook and bake and dance like a demon- but for me to do an entire plumbing or electrical project on my own-even one as seemingly small and easy as that was- is a major- and I mean MAJOR- accomplishment for me.

Paulius meanwhile, was working on his bathroom project and not having nearly as much fun as I was. But that's for him to tell.

I, on the other hand, got up this morning and have been decluttering my kitchen, finishing up the afghan I'm crocheting for my in-laws, and decluttering the living room as well. Now, HOW I got involved in THREE projects, instead of the TWO I had planned for these two off days, is beyond me. I think it had something to do with the fact that in the middle of my original two projects, I have somehow managed to lose my black yarn to finish the afghan with. So I began looking in the living room corner where I keep my stash of yarn and realized that there was a LOT of clutter that shouldn't have been there and so in looking for the yarn, got involved in decluttering the living room as well- I mean since I was already in that corner cleaning, I might as well declutter the rest of the room while I'm at it, right?
Paul hates for me to start cleaning a room- and can't say as I blame him- cause when I clean everything has to be pulled out and moved, so the place ends up looking like its been in a cyclone before I put everything back and it looks good again.
That transition time of chaos is enough to throw anyone in shock and sent them scurrying to the hills.

Anyway- I've been on a carousel going from one room to the next doing whatever I see needs doing until I go to another room to rest- and end up doing even more stuff in THAT room as well instead of resting.

Looks like the only place I'm safe from work is here, behind the desk, in front of the computer.

Paul has yet to make an appearance this morning...I mean afternoon......He came to bed after daylight so we slept different hours today- but when he gets up, I'm looking forward to watching that series he has been blogging about lately...The Sci-Fi western called FireFly. We watched four episodes last night and I'm looking forward to watching a few more tonight.
I like that series!

Suppose it's time to toddle back to my work now........ Later!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The first time I had to fix my own faucet I felt invigorated. It felt like such a huge accomplishment.