Saturday, April 15, 2006

Spring Cleaning.............and FIREWORKS!!!!

My in-laws will be visiting us next week. Paulius and I are both very much looking forward to it.

The past two weekends have been spent doing our usual spring cleaning as well as a few "special" projects like painting the living room a new way, (which I have been dying to do ever since we took the wall down between our old living room and the old bedroom to combine the two and make one huge family room area), taking down the old window treatments, which made the place dark and cave-like, and putting up new white sheers and white toppers, and taking up the black carpet in the laundry room and replacing it with some new vinyl tile.

I got to do the "fun", creative stuff.
****Doing a happy dance*****
(Think Snoopy in the Charlie Brown Holiday Specials)

Paulius volunteered to do the hard stuff that I prefer not to do. Namely, the manly job of cleaning the carpets in the living room and the kitchen with a big ole carpet-cleaning gadget.

Yeah- the kitchen....somebody, in their infinite wisdom, decided it would be a good idea to put carpet AND vinyl on the kitchen floor. Granted it IS an eat-in kitchen, but they decided to put the carpet in the COOKING area and the vinyl in the eating area. And just to make things interesting, they decided to NOT use any padding under the carpet and GLUED it directly to the floor so there is no way to get it up to put all vinyl tile, linoleum or hardwood type flooring down.

In a KITCHEN.
What the HECK were they thinking?

Anyway, All the cleaning is done for the most part. I would still like to clean the oven, but if it gets done- it will get done, and if not...oh well. I'm sure my in-laws will have visiting on their minds more than looking to see if my oven is spotless.

We have a couple of outings planned for the parents visit, but mostly we are going to play it by ear. I'm sure fishing and target practice will be on the agenda for Paulius and his dad. I hope his mum will try them out too.

But that's all we have been up to this weekend and now it's time for me to begin my work week again tonight. I'm looking forward to taking my full weekends off while Paulius' parents are in town. After working 6 and 7 day work-weeks for the past 2 months having from Friday morning until Sunday night off will feel like a vacation!!!

I can't wait!

On other things, can you believe that in all the excitement of having to go to Charlotte to get Paulius' INS stuff taken care of and doing all those projects for Paulius parents visit and spring cleaning, I completely forgot it was Easter tommorrow? I usually have a big get-together for my kids here for the BIG holidays, and I completely forgot!
I know my babies are thinking I am losing my mind.
I guess we will have to have a BIG fourth of July celebration with fireworks to make up for this Easter celebration slip-up.

I'm sure Paulius will be heartbroken having to buy and set off all those fireworks.
Yeah right.......very heartbroken.

Sigh........
Happy Easter everyone!

1 comment:

Vicarious Living said...

Happy Post-Easter!
Hope the visit goes well.

Seriously, you have carpeting in your kitchen? Really? I always thought carpeted bathrooms were odd, and I've had my share of those, but the kitchen?