Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Skeeters & Chiggers

It happens every summer.
It gets so hot and humid here in South Carolina that I can't stand the thought of anything heavy to eat- or anything hot either.
Paulius and I went shopping today. For groceries, I mean. I swear- I got stuff to grill burgers, hot-dogs, ribs,, but I wanted veggies.
Cucumbers and tomatoes and lettuce and squash and carrots. Cantalope and watermelon and strawberries with whipped cream... and bananas. Things that are stored in the fridge and can be eaten cold or cool with little or no cooking.

I'm sick to death of heavy hot food.

And I can't go outside because I'm very allergic to mosquitoes. Made the mistake of goig out for 5 minutes today to help Paulius move the grill off the back deck so he could grill the roast and got eaten UP.

Little trick I learned from a Mountain Witch for mosquito bites. Cover them in nail polish. Clear or natural won't show up on you and it stops the allergic reaction. Seriously. Within about 30 seconds. And it also works for chigger bites.
Ever had THOSE?
OMG- Horrible little creatures that burrow into your skin and bite and bite and bite til they die. And that takes about a week or so.
Cover'em in Nail polish. That'll teach em.

Bleh- I just keep telling myself that Summer will be over soon......and try to make myself believe it!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh there was a little chigger,
and he wasn't any bigger
than the point on a very fine pin.
But the bump that he raises, just
itches like the blazes,
And that's where the rub comes in!

Paulius said...

Oh, and speaking from experience, as someone who has spent many miserable summers covered in skeeter bites, nail polish actually does work.

I'd tried anti-histamene tablets, ammonia sticks, store bought anti-itch sprays...nothing worked.

I'd gone for a few weeks with really annoying bites, not trying the nail polish because I didn't see anyway it could possibly work.

Eventually out of desperation I tried it...and bugger me, if it didn't stop the itch in seconds.

misty harley said...

chiggers...shiver. I hated those little buggers when I lived in Texas. Hate them. With a passion. Nasty little things.

Anonymous said...

I'll be happy when summer is over too ... for the heat and mosquitoes, as well as hurricane threats. I don't know if chiggers live here in south Florida, but I don't think I've had the displeasure of meeting one.

Kudos to Paulius for being secure enough in his manhood to try the nail polish. :)

L

lolly said...

chiggers??? they sound gross.