Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Few Of My Favorite Things....

Feeling a bit homesick today- so thought I'd take a trip down memory lane and think of all the things here that remind me of home...

...the smell of fresh sheets and pillowcases dried on a clothesline.
...the sound of children playing outside.
...the clear Carolina Blue sky(not quite as vivid a blue here in England- but beautiful, nonetheless.
...the smell of freshly cut grass.
...talking to my family and friends on FB and SKYPE.
...low-country Shrimp boil....
...fried chicken
...ketchup(go figure...)
...the black and white "neighborhood" cat that reminds me of my cat(now my brother's cat), Logan-but isn't nearly as big or as soft as Logan...
...traffic(but on the wrong side of the road).
...daffodils
...azaleas

And these are some of the things I don't have here that I miss......
...my family and friends
...being able to jump in my car and just go for a ride/drive
...waffle house at 3AM
...the sound of the train rumbling by every hour or so
...weeping willows
...going to work
...McRibs
...knowing where I'm at(or at least knowing somehow I WILL get back home)
...friendly cashiers
...accents I understand
...vanilla wafers
...real yellow cheese like I'm used to
...our favorite Chinese restaurant
...Carolina BBQ!!!!!!!!!
...MY spice cabinet with all my favorite spice combinations all mixed and ready to go.
....celebrations. No one really makes a big deal of birthdays or anniversaries or Wednesdays- or holidays for that matter, here......it's like just another day. I could always find a reason to celebrate something and I certainly went out of my way to make ALL birthdays especially Special at home. I love little celebrations and the laughter and fun that goes with them........
Maybe Christmas season will be different?

In the end- I have a few things here that are the same as home.......and I have more things I don't have but I can somehow try and make my own or duplicate. So it's up to me.

No comments: