Saturday, May 27, 2006

I really miss my daddy.

I never quite realized how much I relied on him.
All of us did- but I can only speak for myself.

I visited the cemetery today- and completely lost it there.
My daddy was my rock. he was the person I went to for everything when things were just too much to deal with. Take a problem to Daddy and he would fix it.


Need a break and want someone to keep the kids while I go for an hours ride or be able to take a two hour bubble-bath without having to get up 15 times to take care of a fuss or complaint from the kids- "Sure, hon, Daddy'll keep them occupied."

Need a car to drive to work because your battery is dead as a doornail or because you need a new motor? "Sure, Honey- here are the keys- and tomorrow after you wake up we'll go get a new battery or motor on my charge card and you can pay me back later."

"Why do you need to borrow my circular saw? To build shutters for the house? Sure, baby girl- do you need me to show you how to use it? Oh? You know already? Okay...."
and showing up there less than an hour later to make sure I'm okay and to marvel at how I really DO know how to use the saw and how he had never seen shutters like I was making.

Fuss with the siblings? Daddy would tell us how important it was to make up and be sweet to each other because we would always be siblings and how someday we would only have each other to lean on.

Daddy would tell us stories about his days at sea as a naval serviceman. All about his friends and what his job entailed on the aircraft carrier.

He would go out in the freezing cold or the pouring rain or the 100 degree weather to make a living for his family during his days as a railroad man. And never complained. And never was out but two days being sick.

Daddy gave and gave and gave and never complained about it- he only wanted the best for his family and tried his best to give it to us. Even after we were grown. And we didn't fully realize what a wonderful blessing he was. I always thought of my daddy as my hero and always appreciated everything he did for us all- but I never realized how close to a saint he was. He had his faults- don't think I didn't notice them, I did- but he was as close to perfect as one could wish for. He gave us unconditional love- even when we didn't deserve it.

I miss him so much. I miss his hugs- and his smiles. He was always so glad to see us when we came to visit him and mom.

Wednesday would have been his 76th birthday. For his 70th we threw him a HUGE surprise party/cookout. He was so surprised- and he loved every minute of it.

Some days I just want my Daddy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is to lose your dad.
Terry

MC Etcher said...

He sounds like he was a really great man. why do the good people leave us, and the vile, mean and bitter people live forever?

Sunny said...

Thanks guys- Just having a bad day.

Sorry.