Monday, May 22, 2006

Summers Here-Like It Or Not!

Yes- Summer is DEFINATELY here now.

The temps are rising steadily along with the humidity percentage. I hate hot sticky weather- I've lived in the South all my life and I'm still not used to the humidity.

Also signaling the start of summer season is the fact we had our Coyle Family Reunion yesterday- Every year- the Sunday after Mother's Day.

I only get to see these cousins and aunts and uncles once a year- unless there is a special event- such as a wedding or funeral- Lord bless 'em.

I love that side of the family- they are down to earth, God-fearing, simple mountain folk who love to live life- work hard- and have fun.
They are also the loud, obnoxious, fun group of people who I can't be around for more than a few hours at a time. They wind me up and I get hyper for DAYS after being around them.
I love them to death- but they just produce this ...energy....that if harnessed, could power the entire state for a month after we all got together.
Maybe it's something the Dept of Energy should look into.

We had food out the wazoo. If there is one thing those women(and more recently even the men) know how to do(besides voice their opinion and make it stick as the gospel truth) it's cook.

Just a few of the things we had on those groaning tables....

5 types chicken- all deep fried and seasoned differently- (Why, SOMEONE cheated and brought KFC chicken. I don't envy them when we find out who did THAT. The only time store bought food is acceptable is when you have an illness in the family or if you come straight from your job.People take it as they aren't important enough to you to actually take time to COOK decent food if you just stop by the store and BUY it.)
All kids of veggies-
fried & breaded okra
broccoli casserole
creamed corn
3 different kinds of potato salad
corn on the cob
fried corn
speckled butter-beans
3 different kinds of mac & cheese pie(my sister Tees was the BEST- 6 pounds of 3 different cheeses in it- no joke)
3 types green beans
2 types baked beans
fried fat-back
fired sausages
turkey
ham
2 types meatloaf
spaghetti-bake
slaw
rolls
garlic sticks
Biscuits
corn muffins

Desserts included-
chocolate eclair pie
orange Watergate salad
pineapple upside-down cake
2 kinds apple pie
white cupcakes w/ chocolate frosting
cherry cheesecake
lemon meringue pie
pineapple fluff-angel food cake
banana pudding
spice cake with cream-cheese frosting

I know I haven't listed it all- but who can remember all that?

I am on a diet and had said I was going to allow myself one bite of anything and everything I wanted as a treat.

Yeah- Right. Let's just say I haven't been bad like that for over 5 years and leave it.

Once in a five year period can be overlooked, tho. I am back on track now, tho- and despite being BAD- I still lost 2 lbs last week. It may show back up at next months weigh in- but hopefully not.
(I only weigh myself every two weeks now, so it's much less traumatic if I have a gain and it's easier to deal with knowing I have two weeks to get a gain off instead of the every week thing that is so popular right now with all the weight programs)

Anyway. Like I said- Summer is definitely here.
Again.

No comments: