Wednesday, July 09, 2008

65......


That's how many things we have in our entire house that run off electricity.

I counted them.
That includes the overhead lights in each room, the appliances, the electronics and miscellaneous stuff like chargers and hair dryers and space heaters and electric blankets as well. If it ran off electricity it was included.

The biggest culprits were the kitchen and the living room- much to my surprise. I was expecting the living room to be a big one- but the kitchen?

This is how I broke it down...........
The first number is the total things actually plugged in and using power all day. The second number is things we have that COULD be used on any given day- stuff we have stored in that room for occasional use in that room. Then = is the Total for the whole room.

Kitchen.................. 9/5=14
Center Hall........... 2/1=3
Living Room......... 21/4=25
Front Hall............. 1/0=1
Laundry Room..... 3/0=3
Master Bedrm..... 5/3=7
Front Bath............. 1/4=5
Back Bath.............. 1/0=1
Misc....................... 1/5=6

OMG!
Do we really NEED all this stuff?
Would we be able to survive if we suddenly lost all electrical power in the nation?
For me the answer would be YES.
As long as I have a knife and a fire and books to read I can survive. And thrive.

What brought all this on?
We had a storm yesterday in the tri-state area and a LOT of power was knocked out. Luckily our house wasn't one of them- but the local radio DJ's was and he was talking about how we took
so many things for granted....and about how despite having bought a dozen flashlights and distributing them throughout the house he was unable to find even a single one of them this morning when he woke up to get dressed for work.
Could you function if you lost all power?
Yep- I could. I don't NEED a light to navigate my house in the dark. I LIKE a light to navigate but I don't REQUIRE one.

Do you have an emergency kit stashed away in a closet in case the power goes? Do you have a first aid kit with basic items you might need? Do you have emergency food rations tucked away somewhere? Do you have a basic tool kit...or could you plant a garden and grow your own food? Do you have weapons at your disposal?
Think About It.

Everyone laughs at the survivalists who are constantly honing their skills and talking of the impending apocalypse, but guess who would be the ones WE would be asking for advice should it actually happen?

Who's laughing now?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having lived in Hurricane Alley all my life, I can say without any doubt that I CAN survive without electricity. Not that I like it one bit, especially in the summer time.

As for an apocalypse, I'm not sure how many of us would survive (or want to). Sure, I've got flash lights and canned goods, but weapons? Umm ... do three attack cats count?

Terry Chandler said...

lol at the attack cats!

Our power was out for several hours last night, and unfortunately for us, since we're on a pump, when the power is out there's no water either!

No fun at all.

Kelly said...

I don't think i'd like to try surviving without electricity. I suspect moving to FL where hurricanes are common I had better get used to the idea....but then i'm marrying an ex marine...he'll take care of me. He has all the survival skills i'll need ;)

Paulius said...

ummmm...

Yeah, we could survive short term without power...but not long term. If the power went out for good, we'd be screwed.

No phone, no TV or radio broadcasts, no factories, no mass produced food or refrigeration.

Put simply, without electricity, we're literally back in the stone age.

Anonymous said...

You know we've thought about that many times over the years.And sadly enough we still havent done anything about it.I think Frank would be o.k. I would be depending on him. I couldnt skin a deer(or rabbit or whatever),fishing maybe,gardening never. We do have a VERY stocked first aid kit(little boys require one),and lots of flashlights and batteries and canned food.Know whats funny though? No can opener