Sunday, November 13, 2005

Well, It has been a busy busy week here at our house.

We have been doing some decorating- both home decorating AND getting a start on the holiday decorating.

Plus I have landed a job re-designing a whole house. I will be working on THAT project for the next few months.
Yay!!

Paulius and my eldest son,Frank, has been helping my mom "repair"(and I use that term loosely) her driveway.

Long story- you would be amused to say the least- but no time for that now.

My mom had surgery on Friday morning and I have been be-bop-ing up to her house every couple of hours to check on her all weekend too.

My mom is a strange little lady. She wants us there and is a bit clingy- but if we try and suggest things to her or advise her on anything- she will buck up and refuse to do whatever it is.

basicly we just let her have her way unless it's something we feel will endanger her health or well being.

I hope to goodness that when I grow old i won't be as damn contrary as her.

But I love her anyway.
And ,Yes- my siblings read my blog too- and they will be sitting there nodding their heads and laughing in agreement with me about that paragraph about Mom. Dad spoiled her rotten when he was alive. She has never had to pay a bill in her life. They married when she was 18 and he was24. This Christmas Day they would have been married 50 years- he tried hard to hold on for that- but his Lord had other plans for him. We are trying to get her thry these first holidays without him, but it is proving to be quite the mission. Mission Impossible on some days.

Anyway- back to what I started.

Next weekend is the weekend that we set up our Snow Village. I have the spot all picked out for it. I usually have all them set up- but this Christmas I am only going to set up 5 or 6 of them in my kitchen. I have a corner cabinate in one corner all by itself and that's where they will be set up. I may also put two or three in the livingroom on top of our small bookshelf so we can enjoy them with the tree.

For Thanksgiving this year, I'm not really sure who of my kids will be here to celebrate with us. My youngest son, Clay, is working 7 days a week now and i am not sure if they will be working that day or not. My Eldest son's wife, Marie, has been offered a job in Atlanta and so they may be there by then. My daughter, Julie, might be there- but her fiancee's mom may want them there too. So I have no idea. I have my menu all planned out- so if they all come it will be great- so will it be if only one or two make it- or if none come at all.

I am not one of those mamas who have a fit of vapors if their grown kids have other plans. One day is as good as the next for me. The only day I specificly ask for them to see me on is their Birthdays. It would be extremely hard for me if I didn't see my babies on their Birthdays.

Anyway- On Thanksgiving Day for dinner we are having....

Herbed Roast Turkey Breast
Cranberry Sauce

Rice and Dressing with Gravy
Ranch Mashed Potatoes

Broccoli Casserole
Holiday Squash Casserole
Macaroni-Cheese Pie

Dinner Rolls

Pumpkin or Sweet Potato Pie
Mince Pie
Pecan Pie

Coffee Iced Tea Pepsi


Unlike other days when everything is rush-rush hurry up -and -get it done- everything that day will be slow cooked and made from scratch!!
If the kids show up- they usually bring one of their specialty dishes with them.

I am so looking forward to it.

What are you doing for the holidays? Are you being adventurous and having everyone over to your place? Or are you going to someone elses house? Or are you going out to eat dinner?

I remember one Thanksgiving my then-MIL took the whole family out to dinner for thanksgiving. It was the most dissapointing holiday dinner I ever remember. No favorite holiday dishes were there- no chance of the family milling aroundtalking or cutting up with the usual shennanigans- just Proper Country-Club Manners and Deportment.
BLAH!!
YUKK!!!

I want my FAMILY HOLIDAY with all the Chaos that goes with it!!

Of course this year it won't be perfect- i have to work the night before AND the night of- But i can come in and put the Turkey breasts in the oven and sleep while they are cooking. Then get up and finish the dinner. I will probally do the desserts the day before too so that will be a big help.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I ADORE Thanksgiving! This year will be a special and bittersweet one. We will all be together... me and my two daughters, my parents, and my brother, his wife, and his two kids... however it will be the last time in at least 2 years that we'll all be together. My mom and dad do all the cooking, and we all show up. My parents love it that way. Next year with my brother gone and my kids at their father's house, it will just be me and my parents. We may just go out for dinner next year since its just the 3 of us!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sunny,
You have quite the ambitious menu planned! And for having to work the night before and Thanksgiving night to boot. I'm worn out just reading about that.

We are cooking for 10 this year. We haven't quite finished the menu yet, but there won't be much change from other years. We value tradition here. Luckily Bob's Uncle will be well enough to join us and that's cause for thanks and celebration alone. His daughter, her husband and their cutie pie son are also flying in. Little Henry is quite entertaining. I'll have to send you a picture of him.

I will call you to find out what's going on with your Mom. I hope she recovers from her surgery quickly. Good luck getting her through the holidays. It's going to be difficult for all of you so be gentle with one another.

Love ya Girl,
L

Sunny said...

LOL- ummmmm, i hate to say this but that is a very simplified menu for Thanksgiving.

The normal menu is something like this:

Roast Turkey (25 lbs at least)AND a Turkey Breast or two.
Baked Maple-Honey Ham
Rice
Creamed Potatoes
Giblet Gravy & Brown Gravy
Rolls AND Cornbread
Dressing AND Stuffing
Broccoli Casserole
Holiday Squash Casserole
Macaroni & Cheese Pie
Green Beans or Greenbean Casserole
Candied Yams
Sweet Potatoe Souflee
Mixed Veggies
Deviled Eggs
Creamed Corn and Corn-on-the-cob
Pasta Salad
Ambrosia
Cranberry sauce
Lime Jello Molded Salad with Pineapple and Mini-Marshmallows
Coconut Cake
Southern Buttermilk Poundcake
Brownies
Cherry Yum-Yum
Pumpkin Pie
Mince Pie
Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Coffee
Iced Tea
Milk
Soda-pop
Hot Chocolate
Mulled/Spiced Cider

Now THAT'S a REAL Thanksgiving Dinner here in the SOUTH!!!!

I'm feeling a bit full now so I have to go lie down for a nap.......

Later all!!

Silver Creek Mom said...

I'm booiking an flight and will be over to enjoy your family chaos and yummy food.

Hugs
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Wish I could fly in too! :(

MC Etcher said...

Sounds yummy!

I'm lucky, the very talented roomies always cook Thanksgiving Dinner for me.

...But I have to do the dishes, doe!