Friday, March 28, 2008

Easy Peasy........


Wow....what a week!!

First of all I want to pat myself on the back ......I weighed in night before last and have lost a Grand total of 20 pounds on my diet. That's since Jan 18th. Doc said either I lose the weight and get my Type 2 diabetes under control or I would probably be on injections within a year....so here I am....finally losing it! I'm the first to admit I have absolutely NO willpower when it comes to sticking to a diet for more than a month.

I have been ill with some sort of bug for a couple days now as well....had to call in last night because I just was too weak to walk and do my job.....PLUS- a stomach bug isn't the kind of thing you want o bring in to a hospital for everyone to catch. I'm still weak today, but not nearly so much as I have been. So on the road to recovery, I am!!! Paul said he can always tell when I'm ill because my Southern Accent is VERY pronounced then....of course it is...do you have ANY idea how hard it is for a Southern Girl to NOT sound like a southerner? It takes a LOT of energy to cover that Dang Thang up!!

This weekend is my weekend off my diet.....(I'm on it 12 days- have a 2 day break from it and then go back on it for 12 days- Hey, it's the way it works! Honest!!)
So I have been craving Lemon Poppy-seed Cake with Lemon Glaze.
Now, you all know me- I'm a "from scratch" kinda baking girl....but I made a different one this time. I was in the kitchen waiting for my chicken broth to warm on the stove and started thinking bout that cake. I had a Duncan Hines Lemon Cake mix and Martha White Lemon Poppy-seed Muffin mix(small bag-like package)in the cabinet so in the five minutes it took my soup to heat up I mixed HALF the box mix and ALL the Lemon Poppy-seed muffin mix in a bowl with 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 2 eggs, and a cup and a half of MILK. Stirred it up and poured it into a 9X13 pan sprayed with a bit of PAM but NOT floured.
Baked it at 375 degrees for about 25 mins-(you can tell when it's done if you stick a toothpick or knife tip in the center and it comes out clean-) while I was laying on the sofa sipping my soup and then when I went to take my bowl to the kitchen I finished up..

While it was in the last 5 minutes of baking I got out the Confectioners Sugar(Powdered sugar) and poured about half a box in a bowl and stirred in some Lemon Juice(out of a bottle) in to it a bit at a time til it was the consistency of pancake batter. Then, when I took the cake out of the oven, I poked a few holes in the top with a fork and then poured the Lemon Sugar Glaze over the top of the warm cake, put some foil over it(make sure the foil doesn't touch the cake and glaze because it will pull off the glaze when it's lifted if you don't) and let it cool.
This cake is better eaten when its cooled to lukewarm or when it sits overnight....Great for Family get togethers cause you can make it a day in advance!!

EASIEST AND BEST Lemon Poppyseed Cake I have ever eaten..... and that includes my from scratch recipe!

Granted I can't eat much of it today cause my tummy is still a bit.........finicky..... but I'll enjoy a bit of it just the same...I'll put a good bit of it in the freezer as well and I'll let ya know in a few weeks if it can be frozen without the taste being compromised.

I want to congratulate MC and Cindy on their upcoming nuptials in Vegas!!
And Saffy and Toby on their upcoming nuptials.
Anyone else decided to do the deed?
Many, Many, Many, Happy Married Years ahead for you all!!

The new Baby (CJ) is growing like a weed! Already over 8 pounds and just a month old! His mom, Kathy, is doing a GREAT job being a mommy to him!!
Julie is getting things straight in her chaotic world and Frank and Marie are doing well,too, as far as I know....I haven't seen anyone but Julie for a couple weeks now since I have been working and been ill.

Just to let them know...not this weekend, but my next weekend off I want to try and get together and do a little cookout since we all had to work on Easter and didn't get to see each other.April 11th, 12th, or 13th, That would be.....so lemme know what day would be best so we can co-ordinate it and so MARIE can actually get to COME to a family dinner this time- NO EXCUSES!!!!!

So here I sit sipping on my SPRITE ZERO and feeling all happy about life for a change.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well it's about darned time!

Congratulations on the weight loss, Girl. You are doing fantastic!

Hugs,
L

Anonymous said...

I just posted my request for Sunday the 13th off if that'll work for you. Im most likely to get a sunday off than a friday or Sat. Congrats on the 20lbs!!And I hope you feel better soon. Luv Ya!