Saturday, March 08, 2008

I Lied.....

I know I said i wasn't going to be posting again until Monday but I couldn't sleep so I got up and decided to write this.
Don't worry- it's gonna be short and sweet.

I overheard a conversation yesterday where it was voiced that we are surrounded by Propaganda every day. They cited Advertising as a form of Propaganda.
My question......
Is Advertising really Propaganda?
I had the idea that Propaganda is trying to change someones view or idea of something for the sake of the belief of it and Advertising is trying to change someones view or idea of something for monetary gain or profit.

Or does Profit not even factor in to the equation?

Sometimes it makes my head hurt trying to become more intelligent.
(See Paulius' Blog video for how it makes me feel sometimes.)

4 comments:

OzzyC said...

Wikipedia's definition of propaganda (a concerted set of messages aimed at influencing the opinions or behavior of large numbers of people)indicates that advertising is indeed propaganda.

Anonymous said...

Next time you watch a movie, pay close attention to all of the product placement ... most of the time you don't conciously notice it. Advertising? Propaganda? I agree with Ozzy.

Terry Chandler said...

Propaganda is intended to persuade or sell ideas or beliefs, while advertising is aimed at selling products....
Very, very close....
Terry

Divian said...

All advertising is propaganda. Heck, this comment is propaganda.

Now, let's see if this propaganda works...