Sunday, March 16, 2008

Need You Ask?


Okay, Go Ahead. Ask me why I don't like the ocean.

I haven't been in the ocean water over my ankles since JAWS came out.

The last time I went to the beach with my mom and Dad was when I was 27. Clay was almost 4 that summer, Frank was 5, and Julie was 8.

Dad had ALMOST gotten me talked into the whole JAWS thing being a bunch of hooey and that there were no sharks in the water off the South Carolina Coastline.

Then he went surf-fishing and caught a two foot long shark in the surf............not even 50 feet from our campsite.

Ummmmmm....
ME: "Dad? I thought there was no sharks in our waters?"
DAD: "This is just a baby shark. The mama is probably hundreds of miles from here."
ME (backing away from even the foam of the surf): "Ummmm......I'll just lie in the sun again today. Come on Kids, let's go to the playground and the wading pool, and afterwards I'll buy ice-cream for everyone."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great picture Vada, and here Frank and I are trying to plan a vacation to take the boys to the beach this summer :)! Guess it'll be the hotel pool.

Julie said...

Scaredy cat! Wussy! How old are you? And here we are trying to explain to our children that there is nothing to be afraid of, there are no boogy men or monsters , ect. Thanks mom-good thing only one is big enough to read! Love you.

Anonymous said...

I live less than 25 miles from Ft. Lauderdale Beach and rarely go there. I love the ocean. It's nice to look at and listen to, but I won't go in either. Too many critters large and microscopic to ruin your vacation.

lolly said...

I'm with you. I like my limbs where they are and not in the mouth of a hungry shark!!

Anonymous said...

that picture's fake! go to snopes! it's a dolphin

Sunny said...

And as I said....I don't CARE if the pic is photo-shoped or fake......
The fact remains that my DAD caught a baby shark IN the surf in FRONT of me....and where there is ONE- there are MORE and probally BIGGER ones.

Where do you think I got the pic from?