Saturday, March 18, 2006

I Most Certainly Am NOT My Mother!!!

God, please say it isn't true!

Thank God I don't look like her- altho a friend I haven't seen in about 20 years saw me the other day and said I do...no LONGER my friend as of that comment, btw.
LIES LIES LIES!!!!!!!!! I do NOT look like her. I refuse.

My mom is a beautiful woman to me, but she is 5'4,(I'm 5'6"). She looks like a Native American Indian ,(I am blonde and have the pale complexion of German and Scots/Irish ancestory). She wears strange clothes........ for the past two years she has taken to wearing what I call her pilgrim witches shoes. UGLY black things with clunky two inch heels and a HUGE silver buckle on the side. It's not like she doesn't have some very nice looking diabetic shoes- stylish, I would daresay they are. And she has some nice white sneakers and walking shoes, too. But she insists on wearing those ugly-a$$ed pilgrim shoes. EVERYWHERE. (I tend to wear jeans or black leather pants with tees and sweaters.) The only wierd things I tend to wear are some combat boots or other boots....I do have one three-toned pink fleece gown that Paulius especially hates, but guess where IT came from? Yep- my mom gave it to me........sigh..... and I don't wear it very often- it has to be BRUTALLY COLD for me to don that thing.

She also has a horribly cluttered house. She and Dad were packrats to the fullest extent of the word. Married almost 50 years they have stuff in their house from their parents houses. Sure, my house is a bit cluttered, but it's nothing that can't be fixed in a weekends spring cleaning session. I have a FEW keepsakes- but not a half-a-houseful from 3 generations back. We kids have tried de-cluttering and cleaning her house on NUMEROUS occasions- but two hours later it looks like we just moved a few things around. Two DAYS later it looks EXACTLY the way it did before we started. Last time that happened my baby bro and I had worked FOUR days to get it looking nice and neat. I suppose she's a big girl- she can have her house anyway she wants it- but I don't want to hear about how nobody ever helps her with anything. At least she stopped going to the flea markets and yard-sales when Daddy got sick again. I don't think she's been back once since he passed away either.

She recently decided she wanted her house re-decorated. She asked me to do some arrangement s for the furniture so she could "fix" her house. I actually have a certificate in Interior Design- the only reason I don't have a degree is because I am CRAP at antiques- I know some of them, but not all the periods and so I can't be liscensed with full credit.
So I spent 3 whole days, taking measurements of doors, windows, acchways, hallways, wallspace, floorspace, and taking inventory of the furniture she had. Spent two days putting the arrangements on computer and running the program and arranging and re-aranging the furniture and printing every arrangement out for her to see and be able to go by. I even did two of them for her master bedroom that she had been talking about turning into a suite by removing a wall in between the MB and the smaller BR next to it. My brother Charlie and his wife,Doris, came and put down Pergo flooring to replace the carpet in the master BR and the hallway and foyer, and the formal living-room.

What did she do?

Put everything back the way it was.

Can someone please explain why I spent almost an entire week doing all that work for no pay just to have her ignore everything I had worked so hard on?
JUST BECAUSE I LOVE HER SO MUCH.
But to hear her tell it, we don't ever visit her, or call her, or do anything to help her out. Whatever..........It's the same distance from her house to mine, that it is from my house to hers. I go up there every week to pay rent and utilities and we always stop and ask her if she needs anything when we go to the supermarket or to find out if she wants to go with us shopping or anything. Every week I go up there at LEAST every other day- and I call her at least once or usually twice a day just to check on her and see how she is.

I refuse to believe I am like her.
I am NOT.
NOT!
NOT!!
NOT!!!

Thanks for letting me vent...........I feel a bit better now.

Not much, but a little.

Hmmmm..........maybe, just maybe, I am the TINYEST smidgen of a bit like her....I did quite a nice job of bitching just then, didnt I?

;-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think eventually we all turn into our mothers ... whether we like it or not, whether we fight against it or not ... it just happens. It's in our DNA.

Out of the blue I will hear something come out of my mouth that I once heard come out of my Mom's. Knowing what you do about my family, Sunny, you can well imagine my horror! Sigh.

For now, all we can do is be the best daughters we possible can.

No, you do not look like your mother. Still bestest friends for life? :)

Hugs,
L

Sunny said...

Bestestest.
Always.

OzzyC said...

I had no idea you did interior design. That explains your need to constantly rearrange furniture, and the need to acquire your "new" dining room table.

But the thing that stuck out most in today's post is how you spent a week measuring and designing virtual arrangements... and then I think back to Paulius' post from the other day... the one where you picked up the dining room table, and you said
“I hope that table fits in our kitchen.”

Sunny said...

Yeah- like I said- I KNEW the table would fit IN the kitchen- it was that turn into the kitchen from the hallway and the front door I was worried about. BUT-I also knew the table could have been unassembled if need be to get it INTO the kitchen. MY problem is- if it has to do with re-arranging or moving in ANYTHING having to do with furniture and/or decorating, if it doesn't require a power tool that makes a lot of noise, or it doesn't require some demolition that guys seem to love doing,or if it requires more than two steps to get it done(and a sixty mile ride in a cramped truck that you can't smoke in doesn't qualify as a "step" according to the men in my family- it's more like a five step process-something about a mileage limit or something- it must be a guy thing), it's almost impossible to get men to even THINK about doing it. So, it's sort of an evil trick to try and get something done with minimum amount of fuss and arguments. It's a tactic all women use at some point or other.
Besides- if the men in my family think it's too much work to do, I- unlike most women- KNOW how to use a screw-driver and wrench or any other tool that needs using to unassemble furniture, or take a door off the hinges, or saw or shave a bit off a piece of furniture MYSELF if need be. It's really nice and wonderful to have a man who is willing to do it for me and be interested in helping me- but one is not necessary to get things I want done......not for me anyway.