Friday, August 13, 2010

Gamer...............................Or Not.


If you were stranded on a deserted island with a couple friends, and only had ONE game to play, what game would you want?

Now my first choice would be Chess. It's a THINKING game. It would never bore me. Ever.

My second choice would be a deck of cards....obviously because there's a LARGE variety of games you can play with a deck of cards- not nearly as much a thinking game as chess- but they still give you strategy to think about.

Now Hubby says probably D & D would be his choice.

But for the life of me I cannot fathom the mindset of the D&D fanatics. Hubby has tried explaining D&D to me many, many, MANY times...he even got Munchkin to introduce me into the D&D mindset--baby steps, you know. I LOVE Munchkin and after a few minutes I TOTALLY get it....but D&D is a totally different story for me. Paul explains it to me, .....but instead of seeing it as what he's trying to get me to understand, I see it as a game with a few rules and regulations dice game-...but mostly I see it as a social game- where the imaginations and storytelling part is very important but....not as RIGID as a game of...say....Monopoly.

I-Just-Don't-Get-It.

I'm not very good with the verbal storytelling stuff as some people are.
(I know- THAT's hard to believe, huh?? As much as I love to talk and make up HUGE imaginary LIES at the drop of a hat-usually just to see what reaction I get before ROTFLMAO-*I could NEVER be a serious liar, I can never resist laughing when I lie*- I just ain't good at doing it to play a game.....weird)
I have sat and listened to a group of people sitting around PLAYING D&D- and it just sounds to me like a long boring conversation and I cannot for the life of me tell what is their D&D game-play and what is "sideline" conversation.

Maybe I'm ADD/D&D.

I'd still choose Chess.........or cards.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sunny you should try "Mancala". It is a board game that started in Africa and really is a load of fun. A game of strategy and using math as well. Look it up on Google.
I have made some of them out of wood but you can find them in game section of places like Walmart.
Odie

Michelle said...

I would pick a deck of cards.

As for D&D - yeah... I've never really tried, so maybe I'd love it.

But my money is on not likely.