Friday, July 27, 2007

Should She Stay or Should She Go?

Meet Miz Santa.


I started a blog last year called Ask Miz Santa....and I'm trying to decide if I should continue it or if I should delete it.


On the one hand, I feel people really need help decorating for Christmas, because from the past few years I have seen less and less people who actually decorate their homes to celebrate Christmas. BUT- on the other hand, I'm not sure anyone would actually read it......of course, it could become the family manual for checking after I am gone.

One of the greatest joys of my childhood(and yes, my adulthood too) was/is to go out on a drive at night during the holiday season to see the holiday lights. There used to be so many people who would dress their lawns with a colorful light display of one sort or the other. Either an outside tree would be festooned with lights, or the fence would be strung with them. Some really adventurous ones would put a Santa and sleigh with miniature reindeer on their roofs or beside the front porch. At the very least you could see the brightly lit Christmas trees twinkling from the front window as you passed by.


Nowadays, you aren't likely to see a tree in a window. Front living-rooms have been replaced with Family rooms and Great-rooms placed in the back if the house. And it's sad. Christmas villages are popular now to decorate the inside of the homes- but thy're sometimes expensive and not to easy to see from outside.....and usually these are put on a mantle or a table inside the home away from a window. I can fix all that.

There's a town located a few miles away....quite a FEW miles away (about a hundred)from us that is called Christmastown. This is a PERFECT example of what MY idea of holiday decorating should be like.

I haven't been there in about 5 years- but this year, I think I am going to get all my grands and make the trip. You have to arrive there about 5pm.....the line is about an hour wait from the main highway- so if you wanna go- make sure you bring a small snack. Restrooms are at restaurants- altho if the town planners were smart they would set up a few port-a-potties along the wait area before you actually get to the display area.

We usually do all that before we start out....then after we do a pass thru of the town, we stop at a nice place and have a family dinner together.

It gets me geared up for the holiday season.

And this year I WILL have all my shopping done, and all my wrapping finished before Thanksgiving.

I haven't been too good about it since my Dad's passing, but this year I am ready to tackle the world and have pretty lights and wonderful smells again. My Dad loved Christmas almost as much as I do and he would be very unhappy if he knew his great-grands had been missing out on all of our family traditions all this time. So this year I'm going to do it right. For ALL of us.

So.....in view of all that I have told you......should Ask Mis Santa stay- or should the blog go?

2 comments:

OzzyC said...

Whether or not you keep it is your choice, not ours. That said though, I can say that I haven't visited that blog much and I don't know if I will.

One thing to consider, if you keep it, is making recommendations on how to decorate without all of the extra lighting. As the cost of energy continues to increase, I see people using progressively fewer lights as a way to cut their energy bill.

Sunny said...

Yeah- it's not really a blog guys would tend to read, so i understand that. But as for the non-twinkling decorations.....I don't think so- al;tho some of it will be. the whole joy of the holiday season decorations is the lights and color you don't normally see the rest of the year.

Yeah, energy costs are rising, but for the hour- or hour and a half that the lights are on every night for a couple weeks, I don't think it will make THAT bigger difference in the power bill. It's one bill out of 12 months. I'll splurge for that month. Besides- the bill for it wont come til AFTER the holidays are over.
Aren't the kids-(both young and old) worth it?
I think they are.