Friday, August 10, 2007

HOT Topics.

Hot again today. Temps in the triple digits for the fourth day in a row. Record temps the past two in a row and expecting the same today. Heat index will reach 110 today. Heck, even seasoned Southerners are thinking about moving to a cooler climate.

I don't think such a place actually exists.
If it does, That's where I wanna move to.
NOW.
............................................................................................................................................................

A family here in the upstate is in the news today. Hosting a Back-To-School kegger for high school seniors. To be chaperoned and supervised by the parents.
bad idea......State law says to serve alcohol to a minor(21 in this state) is a crime. Also a crime to buy it for them.
Would I let my kids attend a party like that? Nope.
That being said......I don't agree with our state law at all. I think if males age 18 are required to register for selective service and be asked to fight and possibly give their life for their country, they should have the right to drink like an adult.
I also think a parent should have the right to allow their over age 12 kids to have a bit(a TINY BIT) of wine with dinner on special occasions, like Thanksgiving or a taste of champagne for an occasion such as a 25th 0r 50th anniversary party or a wedding.

I honestly think that if it weren't such a taboo, it wouldn't be nearly so appealing to kids.

Did I allow my kids to have a sip of champagne on special occasions such as those?
What do YOU think?
I was brought up to be able to have a flute of wine with dinner on those special occasions.(This was before those laws came into being). And I still do. But drinking to excess has never been something that appealed to me. Simply because it was allowed. A few of my cousins were never allowed to imbibe no matter WHAT the occasion and they do drink excessively now.

I don't understand why "Big Brother" thinks it's necessary to rule over every aspect of our lives. Next thing you know they'll be telling us it's illegal to have sex more than once a week. They need to work on the REAL problems in this country, like National Health-Care, ILLEGAL drugs, and starving children and elderly, and keep out of our dining rooms and our bedrooms.

*******************************************************************************

On the upside.......IT'S THE WEEKEND!!!!!!!!

Enjoy it while you can!!!! It never lasts long enough.

1 comment:

Vicarious Living said...

If you can serve your country, your country should serve you a drink. (and poker chips, too) But should they lower the drinking age, or up the age you must be in order to register for service? I don't think 18 is a magical age.