Wednesday, August 15, 2007

It Sure Wasn't A Clemson Ag Sales Milkshake.....

Well, I’m back from the “Barium Meal” now and it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be….. In most respects.

They brought me in to the Radiology room and gave me a small cup with some crystals in it….and another with two spoonfuls of water in it. Said I could swallow the crystals and chase it with the water or I could add the water TO the crystals and drink it that way.

I chose to mix ‘em.

At first it tasted like grapefruit flavored pop-rocks, but then after breathing out it tasted like pure bile. UGH!!!! That was the worst of it tho.

She gave me the Barium “milkshake” (about 10 oz)and I asked if there was a speed I should drink it or if it was my decision. To drink it fast or slow. She said my decision but they wanted it drank normally- not in sips taking too long.

So she turned to write on the paper and I turned it up and killed it without stopping. She was pleased. So then I sat there fro about two minutes and then she went and got the radiologist. They had me lie down and roll over twice-I am not joking- to “coat my stomach” with the Barium Milkshake”.

Then the radiologist took about 20 photos of my tummy from various angles and then while I was still lying down they gave me a thinner version of the barium milkshake stuff and I had to drink it as they took MORE pics. Then the tech made some actual x-rays of my tummy and it was over. The set of pics the radiologist took was actually quite cool because I could see my “innards” on the TV screen while he was doing it.

Believe it or not- that was NOT the worst-tasting milkshake I had ever had.

Anyway, I just wanted to get out of there and get something in my tummy to get it settled so we went to Jack-in-the-box and I got a meal and it settled my tummy ……..for about a half hour. Then it just made me really nauseous, so I went to bed.

When it got too hot in there to sleep I got up and checked the messages on the phone and guess what? I have to go in today at 6P and work til 6A because we had an employee call in sick.

Eh- extra Christmas money, I suppose. But dang I really DON’T feel up to a 12 hour shift tonight.

1 comment:

Vicarious Living said...

That is really funky!
I've heard about the Barium stuff before from various relatives, but mostly just how it tastes bad, so this was an entertaining and informative post :)

Although I think if it tasted like grapefruit pop-rocks, I might consider that akin to bile. yucky.

Sorry you had to go to work after all that tho!