Monday, January 12, 2009

Beach Holidays........Not Really My Style.



So many of my friends are planning their vacations right now.
Most are planning on going to the beach.

I've never been much of a beach girl....even when I had a killer bikini body. The sand everywhere irritates me- the sticky salt water irritates me, the heat and humidity irritate me. I've always liked going to the ocean in the winter tho. November was my favorite month of the year to go to the Isle Of Palms or Charleston.
When I had to go to the beach in the summer months, I would sit on the balcony overlooking the ocean so I could see the kids on the beach while I read a book. Then when they had alternate adult supervision, I would trot off to the pool for a couple of hours of sun and swimming.(Actually it was more like floating in the pool on an air mattress because I don't really swim...)

I LOVED all the fresh seafood and the carefree casual living style of the beach- just not the actual sand and water that went with it.
Doesn't make sense, does it?

No, I've always been more of a mountain person. I love the cool, crisp spring, summer and autumn nights in the mountains- when no matter how hot it gets during the days, the nights require a sweater or wrap to ward off a bit of chill in the air.

I love the winter snow slopes, even tho I don't ski. Looking out the window at the glistening snow while sitting in front of a roaring fire with a cup of Hot cocoa or hot buttered rum is MUCH more my style. Being able to bundle up in leggings and cashmere turtlenecks and furry parkas and chenille gloves and go on a sleigh-ride is MY idea of heaven on earth.

I have NO idea why I live in hot humid South Carolina- altho I think it may have something to do with the fact that from where I live, I'm about 2 hours from the ski slopes in the winter(Pic #2 ....That's Maggie Valley Ski Resort nearest us)....4 hours from the beach in the summer(Pic #1 is Edisto Beach on our coast), and about 5 minutes from the nearest lake or river(I didn't put a pic of those up.).

I like variety.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you've certainly passed that on to your kids. Julies in Gairlinburg whenever she can be and Frank also would prefer to vacation in the mountains. I LOVE the beach,clean ones anyways. Im just as happy in the mountains though, which is probably where we'll be taking the boys this year.